Thursday, January 20, 2011

homework 1/20

1. Continuous forms (Possible - P / Impossible - I)

a) He is working in a hotel during the summer holidays. - Now, he is doing his work (P)
b) I've been thinking about what you said yesterday. - after you said, my thinking continues (P)
c) When I saw him, Ben was looking down at his magazine. (P)
d) I don't like the rainy weather. - I think 'like' can't be changed into the continuous form. 'like' is already telling about present and continuance. So the verb presenting emotion(like, love, hate, want, ...etc) can't use as continuous form. (I)
e) Susan has have a lot of problems with her car recently. - 'Have' meaning like 'take' can't use as continuous form. Because I think 'have' contains already continuance like 'like'. (I)
f) While Fred is sitting at home, his wife was out looking for work. (P)
g) I don't know why Juliette is so difficult. (I)
h) Does this umbrella belong to you? (I)

* Continuous form can't use when the verb don't present action. (like love, have, is, belong, ... etc)


2. Past and present verb forms

a) We used to go to Spain for our holidays.
- We went to Spain once. (F)
- We went to Spain more than once. (T)
- We go to Spain now. (NS)

b) If my parents lived nearby, we could see them more often.
- My parents live nearby. (F)
- My parents used to live nearby. (F)
- My parents don't live nearby now. (T)

c) They'd started dinner when we arrived.
- When we arrived, they began eating. (F)
- When we arrived, they were eating. (T)
- When we arrived, the meal was finished. (NS)

d) I worked as a travel courier for several years.
- I'm a travel courier now. (F)
- I used to be a travel courier. (T)
- I was a travel courier at one time. (NS)


3. Auxiliary verbs

a) Write an auxiliary verb in the correct position in each sentence. / b) In which sentence is the auxiliary verb used:
 1) The test wasn't as difficult as we expected, was it? / tag question
 2) I do want to go to the shopping centre with you, honestly! / to add emphsis
 3) Kate wasn't keen on sport before, but now she is. / to avoid repeating a phrase
 4) 'Steve's decided to look for a new job.' 'Has he? What made him want to live? / to show interest
 5) 'Did you see anything unusual in the park, Mr Ball?' 
     'Yes, I did. There was a group of young men acting suspiciously.' / short answer


4. Time Phrases

a) He lived there back in the 1980s.
b) At that time, he was a very rich man.
c) The city continued to grow during the 1990s.
d) I don't see my cousin much these days.
e) They are currently recording a new album in Paris.
f) The former President still has a lot of influence.
g) I'm very busy right now. Could you call back in half an hour?


5. Phrases with get - What does get mean in the sentences?

a) The situation is going to get worse. - get means 'become'
b) It took her a long time to get the joke. - get means 'understand'
c) We decided not to get the bus. - get means 'take'
d) I got a phone call from Carol last night. - get means 'receive'
e) What time did you get home last night? - get means 'arrive'

No comments:

Post a Comment