Tuesday, February 22, 2011

something i learned from 'Engvid.com'



1. Grammar – Passive Causative



Subject + have/get + object + P.P. + (by agent)

ex1) situation : Yesterday, my car broke down.
        If your car broke down, you have to get it fixed
        So you had it fixed by a mechanic.

ex2) situation : your friend said to you - 'my hair is too long!!!'
        and you give him advice!!
        - You should get(have) it cut (by a barber : it's not important)!

ex3) situation : your friend said to you - 'my teeth hurt!'
        and you give him advice!!
        - You should get(have) it looked out (by a dentist : even if you don't tell this, he can understand)!

you're getting something done to something by someong/something else




 
2. English Idioms & Phrasal Verbs - ON




ON the house : the company/person will pay for you
It's on the house
It's on me (I'll pay for you)

ON target : touch the goal/target when we said we would
There are on target
I'm on target

ON the horison : what's going to come up in the near future
ON the dot : exact/at a specific time <exactly at that time>
ON the go : to be busy
ON the hour : something is happening all the time




3. WRITING : RELATIVE CLAUSES




My sister who is from Chicago visited me last weekend.
: This means, I have more than one sister. I'm talking about one from Chicago. <identifying clause>

My sister, who is from Chicago, visited me last weekend.
: This means, I only have one sister. - extra information <non-identifying clause>
  If I want to give more information about it, I can put 'comma'




1 comment:

  1. This is perfect work. It was a good idea to post the screen shots as well.

    ReplyDelete